Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Girl in the Video: “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” (1993)

Introduction to series “The Girl in the Video 2” (including list of interviewees).

The video: “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” by Meat Loaf.

The girl-now-woman: Dana Patrick.




Of all the women in this series (including the first round), Dana is the only one who lip syncs in the video.

The person I contacted to reach Dana endearingly wrote me, “I am both Dana’s booking agent and her mom.” She was an absolute pleasure to correspond with, as was Dana.

How old were you when you appeared in the “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” video?

28.

Where were you living at the time?

Manhattan.

What music videos, shows, or movies had you appeared in prior to that?

None.


Dana with Roseann, her best friend since childhood 1991

 1992

1992

How were you cast in “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)”?

I was in L.A. for a shoot. I auditioned for a Levi’s commercial and had to ad-lib. [Director] Michael Bay had looked at hundreds of girls for the part of “beauty” and called my agent to see if she had anyone that she thought he would like. They sent over the Levi’s tape and it was a done deal.

Do you remember what your reaction was when you were cast?

Um, honestly not that interested because I had no idea who Michael Bay was and music videos usually don’t pay well. I was like, “I better get a good rate or no deal.” Lord, I sound like such an ass.

Were you a Meat Loaf fan?

I actually was a Meat loaf fan. I think he is extremely talented as a songwriter/vocalist and a really stellar actor.

Where was the video filmed?

Greystone Mansion [in Beverly Hills, CA].

How long was the shoot?

Two very long days and into the night.



How did you feel making the video?

Out of my element.

What was the hardest part of the shoot?

Michael Bay’s outbursts, which he did with everyone. However, [he and I] had to come to an understanding—I don’t do well with a lot of screaming. He was actually quite sweet, just very passionate.

How was it to work with Meat Loaf? What was he like? Did he hit on you?

Meat was amazing! Very much the family man and a true gentleman. He knew I had no idea what I was doing and was extremely supportive and kind.

Any funny stories from the shoot?

I am afraid of heights, so in the couch floating scene, I had to buck up while glancing at a cue card as I was lip-syncing to the song that I did not know the words to. I was trying to be all sexy and all the while I was terrified. Thank God I am a good multitasker. The lip-syncing was okay, not sure I nailed the sexy.




Anything go wrong on the shoot?

Not really wrong, but during the bed scene where the girls were crawling up my body, one of them got a little over zealous so I kept yelling “Cut!” Ha! I didn’t know that it wasn’t my place to decide when we were to stop rolling film.

What did you think of the video?

I thought it was beautiful. I was amazed at the talent of Michael Bay to do such an elaborate video in such a short amount of time. However, I have to admit that I have seen it only a handful of times. Just too weird to see myself.



What did your parents think of it?

They were thrilled.

Another first for the series: I was able to ask this question directly to the parent of a video ingénue, Dana’s mom Marty. Her response:


I loved it! I loved the subliminals of Dana’s face, especially in the beginning. As a rather conservative mom, the only part of the video story that I found difficult to relate to was the [suggestive] part with the other two beautiful actors. When I showed the video to Dana’s very conservative grandparents, I explained that segment as kinda like Cinderella and the two stepsisters. I felt that it was all about creative license and personal interpretation and that was the best interpretation I could muster. I feel Meat Loaf was right when, in an interview, he said that it was Dana who made the video such a success since it was #1 on MTV long before the song became so popular. I loved the staging, lighting, costuming…I thought it was all beautiful and I love the song.

What did your friends think of it?

One time during show season in Milan, a group of girls broke out in [the] song when I entered the room. Friends like to tease me, but everyone seemed to genuinely like it.

Did you watch the MTV World Premiere of the video, and if so, where and how did that feel?

This is awful, but I did not. I had no idea what a big deal it was going to be. I was oblivious.

Did the video ever affect your dating life in any way (i.e. when you first told boyfriends you were the woman in it)?

No. not really. I was dating someone at the time.

Did you receive fan mail? If so, do you still have any of it?

I did, but my agency went through it. I never saw any of the letters.

Did the video generate any controversy that you know of?

Not that I know of.

What were you paid?

A good amount, more than the usual. Don’t really want to say, sorry.

Were you ever recognized in public?

Surprisingly I was, which shocked the hell out of me. Sort of became some teenage boys’ wet dream (which totally cracks me up), but what was really cool was a lot of women were fans. I felt proud of that.


1998

Did you appear in other music videos after that?

Just a follow up video by another director [“I’d Lie for You (And That’s the Truth)”], wasn’t the same.


Did you ever meet other women who were female leads in a mainstream ‘80s rock video?

Just some fellow models. [Dana is good friends with Audie Lenkov of
The Boys of Summer, and Audie mentioning that was what prompted me to find and include Dana in round 2.]

Dana and Audie mirror selfie

If you went to college, where and what did you study?

Never went to college. Actually I have never been a good student—too impatient.

What are you doing these days?

I am a photographer—self-taught, of course. Again, terrible student.



Where do you live?

Los Angeles, CA.

If you are/were married, what was your future husband’s reaction when he learned you were in this video?

I am married to an amazing man and he thought it was awesome because he thought I was actually singing! Trust me when I say he knows better now.

Kids?

No kids, just a Myma cat and a Grace dog.

What did you think when you first heard from me?

Honestly? “Ugh.” But then I read your email and saw your work and now I’m a fan.

Has anyone else ever interviewed you about this?

At the time, I was asked to do The Howard Stern Show, but that was never going to happen.

Have you appeared at any fan conventions to sign autographs? If not, would you?

No fan conventions and no, I wouldn’t be comfortable with that.

Did you stay in touch with Meat Loaf?

For a while there. He wanted me to be on his softball team but it never happened; at the time I was traveling so much.

When was the last time you were in touch?

Last time we spoke was at least 15 years ago.

How do you look back on the experience?

I look back and realize that it was an amazing and unique experience. I am grateful.



Tweet about this interview to @RealMeatLoaf @dana_patrick!

...of round 2.

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Those were still great days for MTV, actual music videos all day long. Not today ;( Nice interview by the way. Dana came across as down to earth and pleasant. Sorry she was not in more, she was very striking.

Unknown said...

She sounds a little self absorbed

Raynorator said...

I think Dana is stunning and agree with Meatloaf that she made this classic video

Eric D. said...

One of my favorite music videos, at the tail end of MTV's heyday. The floating couch scene was very sexy, and she did an amazing job of lip syncing. Like everyone else, I absolutely believed that she sang that part until word soon got out. That was a bit disappointing, but doesn't take anything away from the video. Thanks for the interview.

none said...

Great and lovely.

But shouldn't you interview the actual woman singing the lyrics?

NunYa said...

The actual singer in I'd do anything for love , Lorraine Crosby, aka Mrs. Loud, has been interviewed about this hundreds of times and is quite acvomodating and not at all "self-absorbed." . I've found Lorraine to be quite intelligent, yet naive at the time of recording the song about the contract. She appeared on Britain's version of the Voice about 4 years ago and got zero chair turns, which was surprising given her talent. Her voice is still strong, she's still quite stunning and she regularly performs on stage. IMHO, she could have done the part of Dana and actually sung as well, she's that beautiful. She admits that being blonde was probably one reason why she didn't get to do the video.

I've always thought that Lorraine could have been a regular member of Meats band, she's that good. Not taking away anything from Russo, but Lorraine truly has some chops. Apparently, Meat and Lorraine still chat and she has nothing but kind words for Mr. Aday. Meat always said that singing credit should have gone to Lorraine and not her intended stage name Mrs. Loud, because it could have helped her career. It's amazing that 26 years have passed since Michael Bay directed this great classic video. Still one of the greats.

john said...

THX for interview!!!!!!!!!!!! greets from poland

TWYNITY said...

She is the most beautiful woman in the world !!!

mickyv said...

Dana really made this song fantastic, Great memories!!!

Unknown said...

Such a level headed, down to earth individual. You can tell from her answers what a strong individual she is. #Respect

Unknown said...

I have been in love with that Lady in White,.... still I am , ...
A face that never be forgotten .... my enire Life...

TWYNITY said...

https://twitter.com/dana_patrick

TWYNITY said...

https://www.facebook.com/dana.patrick.photo/

TWYNITY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TWYNITY said...

http://www.danapatrickphoto.com

TDN@_ฅ(^•ﻌ•^ฅ)ノ said...

...by answering questions "about herself?" I think that is usually called helpful honesty

Unknown said...

Very good interview with amazing woman

L.V. said...

Love you, Dana!

Vianey Gomez said...

Ya decía yo que no era Lorraine Cosby

Tauni said...

You were stunning in the video. I actually thought you were singing. You nailed it and you definitely nailed the sexy as well. I do want to know who made the nightgown you wore in the video if possible. That white nightgown is amazing. You rocked that.

oilcoolman said...

Yes that nightgown was striking and I bought one just like it for my gf at the time. Simply Incredible. Took me forever to find and used the vid to show people

David said...

One of my Favorite videos of all time just love Meat Loaf May He RIP I was so privileged to meet him what an AMAZING Talent but a better PERSON!!
tisk1015@aol.com
TISK

TWYNITY said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xBPQP_XFZ4

TWYNITY said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeA4giTNB2w

TWYNITY said...

CBTV Highights - Lorraine Crosby - I Would Do Anything For Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xBPQP_XFZ4